Friday, November 6, 2015

HAWTHORN AND HYPERTENSION

I have been dealing with Hypertension/ High Blood pressure for some time , largely due to my Prednisone intake for my  PMR which is it's only treatment, no pain medication works for it. A while back I noticed that my B/P would take a nose dive after 10 P.M  a few nights a week, I felt like I was going to pass out ,got dizzy,sweaty,weak and nauseated my B/P went down to 80/50 ,lets just say it is a scary thing to go through and I started looking at what medications I had changed or what I have been eating or drinking prior to this to try to find out what in the hell was going on. I finally found out the culprit, it was my Night Time tea I have been drinking before going to bed. I checked out all the ingredients and herbs in it and found out that it had Hawthorn  flowers and leaves which works on the heart system. If you take any blood pressure medicine please check your teas to make sure it is not in there, you DON'T want to take both!
So this month I found out my Nurse Practitioner  left and my Doctor retired without any notice given to their patients , so when the pharmacy called and said they can not refill my B/P medications because I was not "in the doctors system". So I call the doctors office and found out that they had flown the coop. So that left me with no B/P medications. So I got some hawthorn berry/leaf capsules and my night time tea and began taking them, my B/P has lowered to healthy realms and I might add better than when I was on my medications. I went from 160/100 on no med to 130/85 which is a lot better than my B/P was on my meds which usually was 140/95. So I will now be taking Hawthorn capsules instead of pharmaceuticals for it and so that is one more medication to take out of my life, thank goodness for that.
 So here are some healthy alternatives to your medications:taken from HERE

   Disclaimer and Safety Information

This information (and any accompanying material) is not intended to replace the attention or advice of a physician or other qualified health care professional. Anyone who wishes to embark on any dietary, drug, exercise, or other lifestyle change intended to prevent or treat a specific disease or condition should first consult with and seek clearance from a physician or other qualified health care professional. Pregnant women in particular should seek the advice of a physician before using any protocol listed on this BLOG. The protocols described on this BLOG are for adults only, unless otherwise specified.
Cardioinhibitory And Cardiotonic Nutrients (Controlling the force at which the heart pumps)
Regulation of Blood Volume (Blood is mostly water, so its volume is dynamic – therefore interventions that help control water storage can modulate blood pressure as well)
  • Potassium: 99 mg daily (or more) when instructed to do so by a health care professional, based on blood test results.
  • Calcium: 1000 – 1200 mg daily
Antioxidants (Reducing oxidative stress helps maintain the ability of blood vessels to dilate, a critical step in blood pressure regulation)
  • Coq10: 100 – 300 mg daily (ubiquinol form of coenzyme Q10)
  • Lycopene: 15 – 30 mg daily
  • Green Coffee: standardized extract: 400 – 1200 mg daily
  • Vitamin C: 1000 – 2000 mg daily

                       Hawthorn-Dr-Weils-Herbal-Remedies


Hawthorn
Crataegus laevigata, C. oxyacantha
Hawthorne is a flowering shrub that is part of the Rosaceae, or rose, family. It is native to northern Europe, but now grows throughout the world. The red berry-like fruit of this spiny plant is sometimes called "haw," and has been used for both medicinal and culinary purposes. Hawthorn berry was included in the U.S. Pharmacopeia until the 1930s. The leaves are edible as well.

Used for:

The berries have been used in traditional medicine since the first century, and contain phytonutrients called anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins, antioxidants that have a variety of therapeutic effects including strengthening the walls of blood vessels. Extracts of hawthorn berries, leaves and blossoms also contain compounds that have a tonifying effect on the heart and vascular system. Hawthorn has been studied for its use in treating health concerns related to the heart and blood vessels. This includes congestive heart failure, irregular heartbeat, chest pain, low and high blood pressure, angina, atherosclerosis, and high cholesterol. A meta-analysis based on data from 14 studies concluded that a hawthorn extract offers "significant benefit" as an adjunct to conventional treatment of chronic heart failure. Specifically, symptoms including shortness of breath and fatigue were significantly alleviated, compared to placebo treatment.
Hawthorn has also been used for digestive and kidney problems, including indigestion and diarrhea, and to address anxiety. Topically, hawthorn may be applied to sores, ulcers, boils frostbite and to alleviate itching. However, there is insufficient evidence regarding its effectiveness for these uses.

Available in:

Liquid extracts, capsules and tablets.

Herb / drug interactions:

Before taking hawthorn, talk with your healthcare professional, as it potentially can significantly interact with several prescription medications. Hawthorn may affect blood pressure, and should not be taken with medications for high blood pressure, including beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers, medications for "male enhancement" (many of which are based on blood vessel dilation and increasing blood flow), and medications that increase blood flow to the heart. Additionally, people taking digoxin should not take hawthorn.
When buying: Products available in the United States include hawthorn leaves, flowers and berries, sometimes in combination. Look for an extract of the leaves and flowers standardized to its content of flavonoids (approximately two percent) or oligomeric procyanidins (18-20 percent).
Dosage:Most studies used doses ranging from 500 to 1,500 mg a day. Hawthorn berry extracts can be taken indefinitely.
Dr. Weil says:
Hawthorn berry preparations haven't been as well studied as those of hawthorn leaf and flower. Germany's Commission E no longer recognizes its use, and approves only preparations of hawthorn leaf with flower. Very little research in the United States has been done on hawthorn berry using modern methods. While there is probably no harm in taking it, I wouldn't rely on hawthorn berry extract alone for treatment of any heart-related problems – I suggest a supplement that contains the leaves and flowers as well, and only as part of a comprehensive treatment program. In addition, always use hawthorn under the supervision of your health care provider if you have a heart condition
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment