Friday, November 6, 2015

ADJUSTMENTS TO FARMING WITH CHRONIC PAIN AND DISABILITIES


I have been an active person all my life, I have enjoyed fishing and hunting, going for long walks, doing yard work, gardening. I love the out doors and sitting around was not my cup a tea. But since my late 30's , I am now 59 my body has been causing a great deal of problems with my life style to be truthful. Although I have had my hip issues since age 5 it was not so bad as to slow me down too much but when I hit  my 40's all hell broke out. I had been a nurses aide and a Medication Tech for 14 years in various nursing homes and that was pretty hard labor, lots of lifting ,walking and bending and then I spent 14 years on the road with my trucker hubby and that I believe pretty much put the icing on the cake for me and my chronic pain from arthritis.
So I have had to make adjustments to how I garden . I first started off with using a cane then walker and now wheel chair so working in the garden became almost impossible for me . So my hubby made me some raised beds and gardening became fun again. The last few years we have recycled our old freezers, refrigerators and even our bath tub into garden beds. On my deck I plant in flower pots, this is where most of my herbs are grown.Down below are some of my garden pictures, of my raised beds and some of my harvest from them.






































No comments:

Post a Comment